Monday, February 18, 2013

YUMMY- Healthy Fruit Snacks!!!

Ok, so truth be told I probably haven't had a fruit snack in 20 years or so. However, the fruit snacks became a discussion in our house after we went down to Dallas for our Baby Shower and my nephew C got Greg hooked on Scooby Doo fruit snacks. It got so bad that C even just started bringing Uncle Greg a packet anytime C got himself one. I'm pretty sure I should probably send my sister a couple of packages, because pretty sure my husband snuck a few even when C didn't want one :).

One day, ok let's be honest during the day on my usual Pinterest time I came across this healthy fruit snack recipe. I showed it to Greg and got his approval, although we were both hesitant as we had tried the dried strawberries in Toronto and failed miserably and we were both upset.. But then again maybe it was something with those Canadian fruits, ovens, or just our luck in Toronto in general. I'm a big fruit eater, and Greg just really isn't as into as I am, so I was really hoping this was a recipe that would work for us so it could be a staple in the fridge.


IT WORKED!!! Our first batch was just strawberry, and they were AMAZING!! I mean so amazing that I'm positive the first batch was eaten in 24 hours or less.. Our second batch we made strawberry again and blueberry.. Strawberry was still my fave, but Greg preferred blueberry. We plan to tackle blackberry this week, and have decided to include Mango at some point..
We did alter a few things on the recipe:
1. We couldn't find grass fed gelatin, went to Whole Foods didn't have it, so we settled for Knox Brand. I think they turned out fine and I'm sure not quite as healthy, but come one it's just 5 tbs of gelatin for the batch.. The second batch we even used generic (GASP!) Kroger brand gelatin and it turned out fine.. So don't sweat if you can't find grass fed gelatin. We did find it online, but I'm not paying almost $30 for gelatin (Sorry that's a manicure, J Crew item, baby outfit.. you get the point).. 
2.On our second batch Greg decided we should add wax paper to the bottom of the dish before we put into the fridge, and it made it so much easier to cut into squares once they were ready..

We did make the executive decision that if this recipe was to stay for awhile and Baby K enjoyed it we, would have to be those parents who added shapes, letters, numbers, anything besides just boring old squares :). 

I have included the link below:



Cheers!

JNK

No comments:

Post a Comment