Monday, March 18, 2013

What's for Dinner...

I don't know about you, but this phrase gives me headaches... After living apart for 2 years, I got used to eating the same thing for days, and picking up dinners from My Fit Foods. I'm so happy to be living under one roof with Greg, but planning dinners can be stressful.We all  have  our go to meals; you know the ones that you could recite the recipes by heart. If you are like me, these recipes take you probably under 20 minutes to make :)..

My weekly goal has been to incorporate at least one new meal a week sometimes two.. But for now the goal is at least one.. Our dinner last night was our new meal for the week, and it was AMAZING!!! We tried the Pioneer Women's  Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas.  We found a great deal on Kale in the frozen section at Costco. I see lots more Kale recipes in our future to get thru the giant bag :). Greg made a homemade spicy salsa (we are trying to get this baby movin'), to accompany the quesadillas and it was fantastic..

The pics don't really show how amazing the meal was, especially since the quesadillas were a little messy so please ignore my sloppy plating :).




Here is the recipe for the quesadillas:
Pioneer Woman Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas


One of our tried and true recipes is my special salad.. It has become a staple at family gatherings and is probably the easiest salad to make..  I just use spring mix, craisins, apples, glazed walnuts, and a Girard's light champagne vinaigrette. Depending on your mood for the day, I will substitute pears or strawberries for the apples, and use almonds instead of walnuts or no nuts at all. This was our dinner for Friday night, so I added some chicken on top for more protein and didn't have nuts because baby brain kicked in and I simply left the store without them... Here is a pic of our go to salad:


Greg's staple recipe in our house is Pizza Night.It occurs on Fri or Sat night depending on what's going on.We have got our ingredients down pat now, since we tried a few different recipes. We get the whole wheat dough ball from Whole Foods, and Greg makes his secret pizza sauce (which I may get him to share with the blog one of these days). You can purchase pizza sauce from Whole Foods, if you are in a time crunch and don't want to make your own. Our toppings consist of turkey pepperoni, spicy italian turkey sausage, red onion, mozzarella cheese, and jalapenos..  Here is a pic of our homemade pizza from Sat night:
Hope everyone has a wonderful week.. We are going to get hit with snow again this week.. Blah, hoping the first day of Spring this week may mean the end to snow here for awhile~

Cheers!
JNK

No comments:

Post a Comment